Theme: The Royal Treatment
18. TV's "The Practice," e.g. : LEGAL DRAMA. Drama Queen
20. "Bummer!" : WHAT A DRAG. Drag Queen
38. Door holder's witticism : AGE BEFORE BEAUTY. Beauty Queen
55. Procter & Gamble laundry detergent : IVORY SNOW. Snow Queen
60. Australia's "Sunshine State" ... or where you might find the ends of 18-, 20-, 38- and 55-Across? : QUEENSLAND
Melissa here. Another fun one from our queen, C.C. This one almost filled in by itself for me, a nice way to start the morning. Love to see the grid-spanner in the middle.
1. Greek sandwich : GYRO. Pronounced "YEEros."
5. Happy gatherings : FESTS
10. Baby cow : CALF
14. Control for an equestrian : REIN
15. In full view : OVERT
16. Buckeye State : OHIO
17. Horse feed : OATS
22. Ford fiasco : EDSEL
23. Provides staff for : MANS
24. "That makes sense" : I SEE
26. Champagne stopper or popper : CORK
27. Genius Bar pro : TECH. In Apple stores.
29. JFK's successor : LBJ
32. High-card-wins game : WAR
33. Enjoy : LIKE
35. Submitted tax returns with a click : E-FILED. It's that time again.
41. Part of Congress : SENATE
42. Somali-born supermodel : IMAN. She lost her husband David Bowie a year ago.
43. Wide shoe size : EEE
44. Frat. counterpart : SOR
45. Aid in a felony : ABET
47. Traps in an attic? : WEBS. Nice clue.
49. Deborah of "The King and I" : KERR
51. Fictional Hawaiian police nickname : DANO. From TV show Hawaii Five-O.
52. Rage : ANGER
62. "Go back" computer command : UNDO
63. Sch. near the U.S.-Mexico border : UTEP. University of Texas at El Paso.
64. Tweak, say : ALTER
65. Raise a big stink? : REEK
66. Pops a question : ASKS
67. Outlaw chasers : POSSE
68. Hours next to flight nos. : ETD'S. Estimated Time of Departure.
1. Branch out : GROW
2. "Okey-dokey" : YEAH
3. Second actress to win an Emmy, Grammy, Oscar and Tony : RITA MORENO
4. GM system with an AtYourService app : ONSTAR
5. Helps with the laundry : FOLDS
6. Happily __ after : EVER
7. Maker of the Genesis game system : SEGA
8. Like many Shakespeare plays : TRAGIC
9. MLB Cardinal's cap letters : STL
10. Lear's youngest daughter : CORDELIA
11. "I get it" cries : AHAS
12. Green citrus fruit : LIME
13. Baby horse : FOAL
19. Lousy grade : DEE
21. Sock that covers the joint it's named for : ANKLET
25. Biblical queendom : SHEBA
26. Pet store enclosures : CAGES
27. Ref's ring decision : TKO
28. Spine-tingling : EERIE
30. Margarine that shares its name with Texas' state flower : BLUEBONNET
31. Ballet leaps : JETES
32. "Now, where __ I?" : WAS
34. "Sadly ... " : I FEAR
36. Red Sox ballpark : FENWAY
37. Hair coloring : DYE
39. Cocktail makers : BARKEEPS
40. Ambulance fig. : EMT
46. S.O.S shelfmate : BRILLO
48. Make certain of : ENSURE
50. Fish-eating eagle : ERN
51. Rapper with a title : DR. DRE
52. Poolside shade : AQUA
53. Pecans and cashews : NUTS
54. Nerdy type : GEEK
56. 37-Down containers : VATS
57. Singles : ONES
58. Binged (on), as snacks : ODED
59. Pans for potstickers : WOKS
61. Maple extract : SAP
1) Happy Birthday to dear Bill G, who's been with this blog since August 2009. Bill's posts are always lighthearted and warm, even his comments to the mean anons are polite. So glad Barbara's ordeal is over, Bill. Now you can start sharing your mouthwatering lunch order again. Thanks for the steady presence on our blog.
|Barbara & Bill|